- Read, read and read some more!
Novels; short stories; magazines – basically anything I can lay my hands on! I find it really helps me to reconnect with my work; appreciate the talent of others and gives me an idea of where I can improve!
- Carry a notebook everywhere and jot down any random ideas; descriptions and words which come to you.
- Praise others! RT other authors on Twitter; read their advice; study writing bloggers – we are all in it together! The learning curve is invaluable.
- Don’t compare yourself to others – try and develop your own writing style. We weren’t meant to all be the same!
- Read magazines such as Writing Magazine – they feature lots of great advice and really encourage you to persevere.
- Write the sort of story you would want to read – I was told that a long time ago and still carry this mantra with me to this day.
- Don’t give up – ever!!! You could be so close to getting that publisher/agent to say Yes. Every writer gets rejected at some time or another. It’s the authors who keep going, that eventually get published!
Remember you are a Writing Hero -Good Luck!