Heroes….we all need them!
Listening or watching world events can often be a despairing experience, so I just wanted to say a little thank you to those people who I really admire, for their talent and ability to make me laugh, cry and who influence me….
- Author Jenny Colgan – She creates characters that stay with you for a long, long time and that is such a special gift. I have read all of her novels and almost hyperventilate when I find out another one is on the way. What a writer!
- Morecambe & Wise – These two late, great comedians never fail to make me laugh. Their sense of timing, comedy chemistry and originality will never date.
- Stevie Nicks – I remember hearing her music for the first time, when I was about 14 and she just blew me away. Her smoky voice and ghostly lyrics are just heavenly to listen to. Ever since first hearing her album, “Bella Donna”, I have been a huge fan of hers.
- Fleetwood Mac –Definitely my favourite band of all time and what with Stevie’s influence, they are , IMHO, musical perfection!
- William Shakespeare – Ahead of his time and with such an understanding of human emotions, I was first introduced to Shakespeare at secondary school. We studied “Macbeth”; “Hamlet” and, my personal favourite, “Twelfth Night,” which I consider to be one of the first great romcoms!
- Alex Lowe – I have just discovered his comic talents recently, with his character “Barry from Watford” and also his unique ability to transform his voice into everyone from Tom Cruise to Prince Philip. I often suffer from “writing envy” at his clever one-liners.
- Marilyn Monroe – Gorgeous, talented and very underrated as an actress. She still commands world-wide attention to this day and is still truly a star.
- Author Wendy Holden – Another writer who sends me into hysterics with her sharp observations and clever one-liners.
- Alan Rickman – A wonderful actor with so much charisma and a voice like warm chocolate. His “Colonel Brandon” in “Sense & Sensibility” made my heart rattle in my chest. Taken all too soon.
You may have noticed that I haven’t included any politicians in my list. To be perfectly honest, like many people, I’m very cynical about politicians at the moment in general. So if there are any politicians out there who happen to be reading my blog (!) I apologise for jumping on my soapbox but…. it might be an idea to get your priorities right and help those who are in most need – it would be a start!
Hope your particular Heroes give you as much fun and pleasure to watch/read/listen to as mine do.